St George’s Chapel & the Sussex County Hospital, 1841

Artist’s rendition of the Royal Sussex County Hospital and St George’s Chapel, prior to the establishment of the street grid on either side of the present Abbey Road, between Eastern Road and St George’s Road. The two Regency neo-classicist buildings, set in what was then open land, reflect the social and architectural vision of the new developments.

Image courtesy of Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust.