A drawing of Royal Sussex County Hospital, circa 1854, which points out the original structure of the Barry Building, which was opened in 1828.
The image shows the developments to the wings and subsequent extensions, including Victoria Wing in 1839 and Adelaide Wing in 1841, and further east and west wing extensions completed in 1853.
When the hospital was first built, there were beds for 80 patients. This was not a measure of how many people needed healthcare at the time, and the hospital continued to always need more beds than it had. Its expansion continued with the Jubilee Building in 1887, and many more since.
Image courtesy of Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust.