A Royal visit by Duke and Duchess of York, 1928

A Royal visit, 1920s

Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) visit Brighton to open the new east wing of Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children, 30 May 1928, accompanied by an entourage and the Mayor of Brighton (Alderman Charles Kingston).

Following the visit to the hospital, the royal party went to Devil’s Dyke to attend the unveiling of a stone commemorating the purchase of the Dyke Estate by the Brighton Corporation. The Duke dedicated the Dyke, “for the use of the public forever.”

Image courtesy of Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust.